Things to know about “The Real AAU”
- The AAU membership year runs from September 1st to August 31st. (Early registration for sports such as football may begin as early as August 15th.
- Nationally more than 800,000 athletes participate in 41 different AAU Sports.
- In the Oregon District which also includes Southwest Washington we have over 9,000 athletes enrolled in 27 different sports. With Football, Boys and Girls’ Basketball and Volleyball being the primary sports in the our district
- Athletes and coaches need only register once during the year. Meaning once they have purchased their AAU cards they are good for all sports.
Steps to joining AAU as an athlete, coach, club, and league.
Step 1Enroll as a Coach: In order to form a club you must first enroll as a coach (non-athlete) and under go a back ground check through AAU. This is done at the time you apply for your AAU card. Once this is complete and you have received your AAU membership number you may apply and form your club. Note all adults working with AAU teams must have a membership card. Yearly memberships cost $16.00 or $18.00. We highly recommend the $18 membership as it extends your insurance coverage to non AAU events as well as AAU events.
Go to oregonaau.org and click on Join AAU this will take you to the national website. Again click on Join AAU in the upper right corner of the page.
Click on “non-athlete membership” . Follow the prompts continuing to click on non- athlete membership. Note: We encourage everyone athlete or non athlete to enroll with “AB” coverage as you are then covered by the AAU insurance plan for both AAU sanctioned events as well as non sanctioned non AAU events.
Step 2Enroll your Club: Once you have received your AAU membership you may apply for club membership, going through the same procedure as above. After clicking on “Join AAU” click on “Start A Club” There are three levels of clubs ranging from level 1 ($30 peryear) Level 2 $60 per year and levels 3 ($300per year.) You may get complete details about the three levels on our website. Below is a short description of each.
- Level 1 clubs are able to play and practice using AAU insurance.
- Level 2 clubs are able to play, practice and host AAU sanctioned events.
- Level 3 clubs in addition to the above are eligible for tax exempt status through the AAU.
Step 3Enrolling Athletes: Like the adult memberships membership cost are on two levels $14 for a basic membership which covers athletes in practice as well as AAU sanctioned events. Or $16 for an “extended AB membership” this covers athletes in any athletic event connected to your club even if it is not sanctioned by the AAU. We strongly r recommendthe extended benefit card. Important for the extended insurance to be valid All athletes in your club must have purchased the extended benefit card.
Frequently asked questions:
Where can I access detailed AAU insurance information? Go to the National website aausports.org and click at the top of the home page on membership. Then scroll down to insurance.
Does each team need to enroll as a club?No, all teams in your organization may enroll under the same club number. However it is important to make sure all athletes and coaches on all teams have current AAU memberships.
Does the AAU insurance cover our practices? Yes, and if the school or other facility requires you to provide proof of insurance these waivers maybe accessed online after you form your club.
Does each individual game or event need to be sanctioned individually? No, you may sanction your entire league schedule under one sanction.
Do Athletes and Coaches need to purchase a membership card for each sport they participate in? No.. Membership cards are good for all sports during the AAU calendar year.
Can Interscholastic teams / school teams enroll as AAU Clubs?Yes many do in order to take advantage of our insurance benefits.
If our club hosts an event do all participating teams need to be members of AAU? Yes, If you host an event that you sanction through AAU, all participants must be AAU members. AAU insurance will not cover an event with non AAU participants.